[OS X TeX] "Can't find" problem using Daniel Steffen's mytex script

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Jun 15 02:13:13 CEST 2005

On 15/06/2005, at 9:27 AM, Ian Morrison wrote:

> I have been trying to follow instructions kindly sent by Daniel
> Steffen (amplifying a post here:
> http://w3.msi.vxu.se/~pku/MacOSX_TeX/2003a/msg02510.htm) to use his
> "mytex" script in conjunction with the "ldump.sty" to create on the
> fly formats. I have double checked that everything he suggests has
> been done and yet I am getting a "Can't find the required tool" error
> from TeXShop which I cannot understand or eliminate. I have Daniel's
> script and suitable symlinks in my /bin. The TeXShop "Misc"
> preferences pane gives full paths to his scripts
> (/Users/towers/bin/mypdftex and /Users/towers/bin/mypdflatex) and I
> have "personal script" selected as my default script in the
> "Typesetting" preferences pane. But when I typeset (any flavor) I get
> a "Can't find the required tool" error which goes on to claim that
> "/Users/towers/bin/mypdflatex" does not exist.
>
> What needs to be hooked up to get this to work?

Check the permissions on the scripts in  /Users/towers/bin
Make sure the executable (x) bit has been set.

If you check the scripts using a terminal window, you made need
to do a  'rehash'  before the new executables are found.
(But as a TeXShop engine, this shouldn't be necessary.)

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>