[OS X TeX] TeXShop "holding" files

Ronald Bruck bruck at math.usc.edu
Sat Jun 11 03:11:13 CEST 2005

One of the main complaints of users of Mac OS is the tendency of
programs to "hold" files open, even after their window has been
closed and the file has (presumably) been written to disk.  (Yet, the
file isn't locked; other programs can open it.)  Unfortunately,
TeXShop shares this behavior.

Can someone elucidate the technical reasons for this?  Clearly the
file has been locked, but not completely; HOW?, and WHY?  It's
extremely annoying, after editing a file on a removable disk, to have
to QUIT TeXShop before ejecting the drive.

And when you have a dozen applications open, it isn't always the
obvious one which has the hold in place.  On occasion I have had to
go through the applications one-by-one and quit them all.  Sometimes
even THAT doesn't release the file, and I have to reboot.  (Logging
out and back in doesn't work.)

Surely Richard Koch can be persuaded to modify TeXShop not to do this.

This is one of (Apple employee #66) Bruce Tognazinni's infamous bugs
that he lists on his web page,

       <http://www.asktog.com/>

(They're all interesting, and all are right on.  Example:  you're
typing away in TeXShop, and Microsoft Word [name almost any other
app] FINALLY comes up, and seizes focus:  suddenly you're typing in
Word's dialogue box.)

--Ron Bruck

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>