[OS X TeX] Threads on MacIntel

Justin Walker justin at mac.com
Fri Jun 10 18:49:28 CEST 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 8:37, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> As far as I understood, the powerpc here in the path (and more
> generally the imbrication of directories) was Gerben's decision, not
> something imposed by TeX or OS X in itself. Or did I misunderstand?

I think that the ...powerpc-apple-.... trick comes from the build
scheme that produces the package that Gerben includes.  This is pretty
standard for the so-called "autoconf" build scripts.

The "autoconf" approach makes relatively few assumptions about the
target environment; "fat" binaries are not universal, so most people
that generate such a package don't mess with `em.

Thus: two ways to set up multi-platform support, depending on who sets
up the build mechanism.

>>> For OS X front-ends, making sure that they use Cocoa fully would go
>>> a long way to ensure portability.
>>
>> Those who have been at WWDC this week are, of course, constrained by
>> the usual NDA rules from saying much, but I think I can take the
>> liberty of commenting that I see no reason to be concerned. :)
>
> Do you mean here that the info given to developers at the WWDC is
> covered by the NDA? I thought all that info was public, given the WWDC
> is a public conference, a bit like a showcase; and that the NDA
> applied only to prerelease software (like Tiger, the software updates,
> etc.), got by the developers from the ADC, until the software was
> released officially.

You will have to check with Apple to be sure, but I believe that
anything you get from the (account/password-protected) developer site
is automatically under NDA.

> So I imagine all the developers who buy a Transition Kit from Apple
> will also have to sign a NDA?

Fer sure.  The transition stuff is all pre-release, so you will be
bound by an NDA.  This is normal, I think.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large