[OS X TeX] Threads on MacIntel

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Fri Jun 10 16:23:03 CEST 2005

Simon Spiegel wrote:

> On 10.06.2005, at 15:49, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>

>>> My apologies, then.  I'm sincerely sorry if I offended anyone or
>>> caused any one to feel that they wasted their time reading posts
>>> off the topic of TeX.  I hesitated to post this type of info here,
>>> but saw that several others were seemingly interested in this
>>> thread, and so I posted two messages.
>>>
>>> Just for the record, I DON'T mind when others on this list do
>>> occasionally post what is not always strictly TeX related, as the
>>> folks on this list generally have thoughtful, provocative ideas
>>> about all manner of things -- including TeX!
>>>

>> I certainly second that.
>>
>> By the way, Spiegel's "could we please restrict the discussion on
>> the PPC -> Intel change to LaTeX related issues?" would seem to
>> eliminate "TeX" related issue.
>>
>> More generally, I think that such admonishments are perilously  close
>> to censorship by intimidation.
>

> I actually wanted to stay out of this thread since its whole idea was
> to reduce traffic but I think this reply is really weird and
> completely misses  the tone. I mainly asked for something and clearly
> said that I'm aware that others might disagree. In no way did I try
> to intimidate or censor anyone.

I am sure you didn't but, IMO, it had what is called in the US a
"chilling effect", a concept which I had never encountered in my
previous life in France.

> If the majority on this list doesn't  share my opinion -> fair enough,
> go on. For my part, I'm on this list  to discuss (Xe)(La)TeX related
> issues and in this area the  implications of the Intel switch are not
> very severe.

I lied before and I did glance at the messages before trashing them and
this is where I learned that "the  implications of the Intel switch are
not very severe".

Regards to all
--schremmer
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>