[OS X TeX] Threads on MacIntel

Fernando Pereira fcnpereira at mac.com
Fri Jun 10 15:59:03 CEST 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 8:14 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> "Our initial analysis and prediction of a smooth transition still
> appears to be accurate, even after a few days of review and
> analysis," Siegel said in an e-mail interview. "There are some
> adjustments to be made, but nothing particularly daunting."

Swinging this back to TeX on OS X... The issues are different for TeX
(and its command-line support programs) and for front-ends like
TexShop. We know that TeX and its companions work fine on x86. The
problem will not be with the code itself, but rather with the
availability of development tools and systems to create fat binaries
for these applications. In particular, it's not clear yet whether fat
binaries can be built in a standard command-line *nix way, which is
what the build processes for those programs require.

For OS X front-ends, making sure that they use Cocoa fully would go a
long way to ensure portability.

-- F

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>