[OS X TeX] customizing menu shortcut keys in TeXShop

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Wed Jun 8 21:10:25 CEST 2005

If you use TextEdit or remove the comments, but leave the crazy
redefinition, the file opens in the PLIST editor and totally screws
up the TeXShop functions, from an Apple standard point of view.

Here are the contents of the file with the comments removed.

PLEASE READ THIS: I would not use these definitions since they change
Apple standards, but this shows what the file format looks like if
you want to define keyboard shortcuts.

To quote Herb Schulz: "Good Luck"  :)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://
www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

     <key>File</key>
     <dict>
         <key>6</key>  <!-- Close  -->
         <array>
             <string></string>
             <true/>
             <true/>
         </array>

         <key>10</key>  <!-- Revert To Saved -->
         <array>
             <string></string>
             <false/>
             <false/>
         </array>
     </dict>

     <key>Edit</key>
     <dict>
         <key>Find</key>
         <dict>
             <key>1</key>  <!-- Find... -->
             <array>
                 <string>u</string>
                 <false/>
                 <false/>
             </array>
         </dict>
     </dict>

     <key>4</key>    <!-- Format -->
     <dict>
         <key>Comment</key>
         <array>
             <string>X</string>
             <true/>
             <false/>
         </array>
         <key>Indent</key>
         <array>
             <string>Z</string>
             <false/>
             <true/>
         </array>
         <key>Uncomment</key>
         <array>
             <string>y</string>
             <true/>
             <true/>
         </array>
         <key>Unindent</key>
         <array>
             <string>w</string>
             <false/>
             <false/>
         </array>
     </dict>

</dict>
</plist>

On Jun 8, 2005, at 1:50 PM, Chris Goedde wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2005, at 1:01 PM, Charles Chapman Pugh wrote:
>

>> Hello.
>>
>> In the help files for TeXShop 2.03, there are directions for
>> customizing the menu shortcut keys.  You go the file
>> KeyEquivalents.plist whose location is
>>
>> ~/Library/TeXShop/Menus/KeyEquivalents.plist
>>

>> and then you modify it, save the result, and that should do it.
>> An example is given in the KeyEquivalents.plist file, which is
>> indeed located as it should be.  The example is commented out
>> because it is a "crazy redefinition," which among other things
>> removes the keyboard command Apple-W from the close operation in
>> the file menu.
>>
>> Well, after trying to emulate the example file, I got no change in
>> the menus or shortcuts, so, as an experiment, I duplicated the
>> crazy part and removed its commenting-out brackets, saved the
>> result, quit TexShop for good measure, started it back up, opened
>> a file, and the menus were unchanged.  Apple-W still closed things
>> up.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Best,  Charles Pugh
>>

> I've had the exact same experience in TeXShop, and a few months ago
> asked the very same question on this list, with no real answer. As
> far as I can tell, this feature is broken in TeXShop. Or perhaps as
> Herb Schulz suggests, the xml in the default plist file is defective.
>
> Chris Goedde

> List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>

Bob Kerstetter
http://homepage.mac.com/bkerstetter/