[OS X TeX] Tiger Change All Open With

Alan Curtis alan.curtis at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 01:33:13 CEST 2005

On 6/5/05, Bob Kerstetter <bkerstetter at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2005, at 2:16 AM, Michael Gedalin wrote:
>
> >> For some reason, my Tiger has associated .tex files with Script
> >> Editor. I can Get Info and change one file's open with to TexShop,
> >> but when I press the Change All button it reverts to Script Editor.
> >> Anyone know how to fix this?
> >>
> >> Alan
> >>

> > I had similar problems with associating all .tex files with
> > StuffitExpander. Removal of SE and cleaning caches worked. I put SE
> > back and everything is ok. May be deep cache cleaning would suffice
> > for you. I used AppleJack.
> >

> Things here seldom get messy, maybe because the machine gets
> restarted once a week, so it does the "start up disk maintenance"
> weekly.
>
> But when things do get messy, restarting the machine, running these
> commands from the terminal and then restarting again always cleans up
> things:
>
> rm -rfv ~/Library/Caches/*
> sudo rm -rfv /Library/Caches/*
> sudo rm -rfv /System/Library/Caches/*
> sudo rm -rfv /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
>
> For the final three commands you have to be logged into the terminal
> as an admin. Because I run with a standard account, not an admin
> account, I must use:
>
> su adminaccountname
>
> and then enter the password for adminaccountname before doing the
> sudo commands.
>
> Maybe the restarts are not necessary. But clearing the caches appears
> to clean up problems when they arise, now and then.

I cleaned my caches using both Bob's and Michael's method, but Finder
still associates .tex files with Script Editor.

I deleted Script Editor and repeated deleting caches. Then Finder
associated .tex files with TeXShop.

I restored Script Editor from backup. Finder went back to associating
.tex files with Script Editor again.

I don't want to delete Script Editor permanently, in case I want to
edit my scripts. I don't want to reinstall Tiger just to update Script
Editor.

Is there another way I can fix this problem? I seem to recall a
utility that can edit the Finder file association preferences.

Is it just a coincidence that Script Editor and Stuffit Expander have
initials S.E.?
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>