[OS X TeX] Tiger Change All Open With

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Sun Jun 5 07:03:19 CEST 2005

On Jun 4, 2005, at 2:16 AM, Michael Gedalin wrote:

>> For some reason, my Tiger has associated .tex files with Script
>> Editor. I can Get Info and change one file's open with to TexShop,
>> but when I press the Change All button it reverts to Script Editor.
>> Anyone know how to fix this?
>>
>> Alan
>>

> I had similar problems with associating all .tex files with
> StuffitExpander. Removal of SE and cleaning caches worked. I put SE
> back and everything is ok. May be deep cache cleaning would suffice
> for you. I used AppleJack.

Things here seldom get messy, maybe because the machine gets
restarted once a week, so it does the "start up disk maintenance"
weekly.

But when things do get messy, restarting the machine, running these
commands from the terminal and then restarting again always cleans up
things:

rm -rfv ~/Library/Caches/*
sudo rm -rfv /Library/Caches/*
sudo rm -rfv /System/Library/Caches/*
sudo rm -rfv /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

For the final three commands you have to be logged into the terminal
as an admin. Because I run with a standard account, not an admin
account, I must use:

su adminaccountname

and then enter the password for adminaccountname before doing the
sudo commands.

Maybe the restarts are not necessary. But clearing the caches appears
to clean up problems when they arise, now and then.

Bob Kerstetter
http://homepage.mac.com/bkerstetter/

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>