[OS X TeX] UTI for Textures documents

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Jun 4 20:29:12 CEST 2005

In Tiger, Textures documents whose name does not contain the
extension .tex are no longer recognized as belonging to Textures;
instead, they are considered as TexEdit documents. I've just been
faced with this when trying to open an old Textures document. I can
of course add the extension .tex to its name, but only if there's no
other solution.

So far, a Textures document was recognized as such based on its
Creator/Type strings, namely *TEX/TEXT. Apparently, in Tiger this is
no longer true. I imagine this is due to the new UTI mechanism in Tiger.

The Blue Sky TeX Systems site has been updated following the release
of Tiger, and two problems are mentioned: one, at <http://
www.bluesky.com/news/news_frames.html>, regarding interaction with
SpotLight, and the other, at <http://www.bluesky.com/news/news-
OSX.html>, which is precisely the above problem. It is said there is
no solution at present.

Hence this mail: does any programmer here know of some command-line
instruction for example, that could be used to tell Tiger that files
with a *TEX Creator string do belong to Textures? Or can this be
achieved by editing some .plist file somewhere (regarding Launch
Services maybe?), to give files with this resource the appropriate
UTI? Or does it necessarily require a change in the Textures
application itself, such that this application declares the
appropriate UTIs?

I tried a very naive thing: rebuild the Classic Desktop. But of
course that didn't solve the problem.

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>