[OS X TeX] memoir: Why can't appendix be in the back matter?

Johan Almqvist johan at almqvist.net
Sun Jul 31 12:29:24 CEST 2005

On Jul 30, 2005, at 14:38, Morten Høgholm wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:30:08 +0200, Johan Almqvist
> <johan at almqvist.net> wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> Why does the following work, but not ork if the \backmatter line
>> is in there (the appendices lose their numbers and the ToC looks
>> wrong)?
>>

> It works as I expect it too ;-)
>
> "The \backmatter declaration makes no change to the pagination or
> folios but does prohibit sectional division numbering, and
> captions, etc., will be numbered continuously."
>
> Quote from the memoir manual.

Sometimes I feel the answers on this list aren't quite what I'd hoped
for, but I guess I'm just not asking the questions very well. Anyhow.
The question I meant to ask was "How can I get appendix numbering
even though I'm in the \backmatter in memoir" and the answer is
"issue the \setsecnumdepth{chapter} command as the first thing in the
\begin{appendices} environment (and use \setcounter{secnumdepth}{-10}
to turn it off again later)".

-Johan
--
Johan Almqvist