[OS X TeX] (OT) Tiger and not Tigrrrr :-)?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jul 27 20:22:58 CEST 2005

Am 27.07.2005 um 16:46 schrieb Michael S. Hanson:

> 	Just an FYI, which you may wish to take with a grain of salt:  In a
> recent meeting to discuss ways to deploy and use Xgrid at my campus, a
> local tech support guy noted -- and the Apple rep on hand confirmed --
> that the Mach kernel doesn't actually respect 'nice' settings.  The
> tech support guy called it a "placebo":  the user sees the nice
> setting (say in 'top'), but the kernel (reportedly) completely ignores
> it.

In other UNICes nice too isn't what it was ten or 15 years ago. I've
found that a nice'd process cannot make the CPU fan start on a portable
-- i.e. the processor seems not to be switched from minimal to maximal
speed.

For me and my PowerBook this is a valuable feature: I can safely start
long compilations before I go to sleep (make bootstrap for Emacs, fink
update-all) or visit the public swimming pool to cool down myself ...
and when I return revived I have a new FontForge or such!

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for
lists of "Ten Best".
		-- H. Allen Smith

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>