[OS X TeX] [ANN] TCOBrowser-0.86

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Jul 25 23:46:39 CEST 2005

Le 23 juil. 05 à 17:54, Adam R. Maxwell a écrit :

> I've just released a new TCOBrowser with some bugs fixed, thanks to
> feedback from users.  You can download this version at <http://
> tcobrowser.sf.net/>.

I've just had a look at the drawer in TCO Browser for the first time.
Very nice! (I'm not even mentioning the MikTeX package-install, which
seems immensely useful.) I realized by accident TCOBrowser may be
used for visualizing any PDF file: dragging by accident a PDF file
from my Desktop onto the drawer, the PDF file was displayed inside
the drawer.

For Tiger user: something users may not be aware of is that, by Ctrl-
clicking the PDF document inside the drawer, a contextual menu
appears allows to select continuous scrolling, zooming in/out,
fitting to width, etc. The same applies in Safari. Only minor
complaint (relating to this Tiger mechanism, not specific to
TCOBrowser): it seems there's no way of specifying default settings
for the embedded PDF viewer (default magnification etc.).

That said, I must add I don't like drawers personally: I prefer
instead a "separated" window à la Mozilla, Mail.app, iTunes etc.
Drawers are convenient, but look kind of unbalanced, especially with
the very wide drawer in TCOBrowser. Even time I click on a drawer
which has popped up from within a window, I have the impression the
additional pressure of my click will make the drawer fall and with it
the virtual desktop made by the window (that is, as if the window was
a table seen from above, and the drawer a drawer from this table)!

Regarding the TCOBrowser drawer, it seems it has a maximum width
beyond which it can't be enlarged, even if the screen would be large
enough for doing so.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>