[OS X TeX] LaTeXiT 1.3.1 and Nisus (LinkBack)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jul 23 17:35:21 CEST 2005

On Jul 23, 2005, at 10:25 AM, Pierre Chatelier wrote:

> Hello,
>

>> I've been playing with LaTeXiT 1.3.1 and Nisus Express 2.5b1 using
>> LaTeXit via Services and also via Drag and Drop to check alignment
>> or in-line maths and LinkBack behavior. If I use the Services Menu
>> Item to make an in-line equation (i.e., write the equation within
>> Nisus, select it and choose the in-line item from the Services
>> Menu) the equation does seem to come with the proper baseline
>> alignment (well, maybe it doesn't take into account the extra
>> 0.5pt I've added around the border) but I don't get any LinkBack.
>> If I Drag and Drop the baseline alignment is gone (not too
>> surprising) but the LinkBack works.
>>

> It seems that you reached the edge of the two technologies... When
> drag'n dropping, LinkBack works, but the baseline has no meaning,
> since a PDF is dropped, without any contextual info from the
> *destination*.
> However, when you use the service, some info is sent to LaTeXiT
> (context color, font size, current baseline), so that what is
> pasted is not a mere PDF but RTF data, in which the baseline can be
> embedded. The difference is that when you use the service, since
> you are transforming text, you are assured that you can paste text
> in return. With a baseline.
> And it seems that Linkback is not taken in account by the way
> application service works. Technically, I would say it is normal
> (but perhaps I am wrong).
>
> So, bad luck, I think that you can't get no satisfaction.
>
> But I have a proposal. I may add a new export type ! So far, there
> is PDF, EPS, TIFF, JPEG and PNG. I may add RTF, so that what is
> exported can embed a baseline. It is not so handy, but you can see
> it as a workaround.
>
> Any thoughts ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Pierre

Howdy,

I suspected that since LinkBack is still in its infancy glitches were
bound to occur. I also guessed at the problem too but have no solutions.

For the new output choice would the graphic be embedded in the rtf?
I'd be willing to try it out if you are willing to play with it.

Is there still active work being done with LinkBack or is that in a
dormant state except for possible Plugins or things like Pages?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>