[OS X TeX] Re: Fonts in Illustrator with Tiger

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Jul 16 14:19:20 CEST 2005

Hi Wendy,

Le 16 juil. 05 à 04:51, Wendy McKay a écrit :

> My TeX fonts are not hidden and they are in the OS 9 "Fonts" folder
> in "System Folder (from Old Mac)" since my upgrade to Tiger.
> It seems that in Panther and earlier OS systems, the Fonts from OS
> 9 were
> automatically loaded into Illustrator.  But not so now in Tiger.

Confirmed. New York, which is in my Classic font folder, appears in
Apple applications and in MS Office (and NeoOffice/J as well), but
not in Adobe Illustrator.

> I don't have CS2 yet.
> Fontwise, is it important to upgrade to CS2 immediately?

I wouldn't say so. I see no real benefit upgrading actually (apart
from the added tracing functionality, for converting bitmaps to
vector drawings, but I haven't tried this yet). So you can save your
boss a few bucks!

I did upgrade because I was experiencing problems with Illustrator 10
(and also because I got some funding!), and I was hoping Illustrator
CS2 would solve them: working with Mathematica-generated big EPS
files (about 25 MB), Illustrator 10 was becoming unbelievably slow
(about 20 s before typing something and seeing it appear on screen)
and crashed when attempting to save the modified file; after adding
512 MB of RAM to my PowerBook G4, to reach 1 GB in total, Illustrator
10 managed to finally save the modified file, taking about 40 mins to
do so (I imagine it performs some sort of compression when saving a
file).

Having heard that Illustrator CS2 is more PDF-based than the EPS-
based Illustrator 10, I was expecting CS2 to play nicer with OS X.
Alas: it doesn't seem to make any difference!

Another explanation may be malformed EPS files generated by
Mathematica, giving Illustrator a hard time. I was using Mathematica
4.1. Now I've ordered the update to 5.1, and I'm expecting
Mathematica 5.1 (or even 5.2) anyday now, I'll see whether the new
version creates different EPS files.

Cheers,

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>