[OS X TeX] OT: eps2eps and fonts

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Jul 16 02:14:55 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Just now I have been experiencing problems importing an EPS file,
generated by Mathematica 4.1, in Illustrator CS2: Illustrator
silently fails to open the file, and console.log contains:

Adobe Illustrator(480,0xa000ef98) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a
pointer not malloced: 0x139f7ea8; This could be a double free(), or
free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting
environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

I can use TeXShop (actually epstopdf) or Tiger's distiller pstopdf to
convert the EPS file to PDF, and open the PDF file in Illustrator.
However, I thought it would be better to work in Illustrator from the
original EPS file.

I remember in several circumstances people here have posted
instructions using GhostScript or scripts based on it to deal with
malformed EPS files. Hence I have attempted pre-processing the
problematic EPS file with eps2eps (installed with GhostScript) before
opening it in Illustrator. That works to extent that the preprocessed
file is indeed opened by Illustrator; however, it seems the PS font
(Courier) included in the original EPS file has been bitmapped by
eps2eps. Is there a way to avoid this?

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>