[OS X TeX] Re: OT: Disabling PDFMaker (was: [ANN] TCOBrowser-0.84)

Michael S. Hanson mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Mon Jul 11 01:59:01 CEST 2005

On Jul 10, 2005, at 7:33 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

>> - Similarly, the installation of the PDFMaker components results in a
>> new PDFMaker toolbar to be added to Word, eating screen estate. In
>> the Personalize Toolbar window in Word, there is indeed a new
>> checkbox "Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker", but again the preference doesn't
>> stick: the checkbox is re-checked automatically each time Word is
>> restarted.
>
> Regarding this point (and staying OT), after much experimentation, it
> seems the only way to get rid of the PDFMaker toolbars inside Word,
> Excel and PowerPoint is to rename (to anything else) the folder
> /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office/Démarre, containing macro
> files:
>
> /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office/Démarre/Excel/PDFMaker.xla
> /Applications/Microsoft Office
> 2004/Office/Démarre/PowerPoint/PDFMaker.ppa
> /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office/Démarre/Word/PDFMaker.dot
>
> The name "Démarre" is for the French version, the English version must
> use a different name

	It would appear that the (U.S.) English directory name is "Startup".
Or at least it is with Office X.  Also with Office X and Acrobat
version 6.x, there is a shared library file called "PDFMakerLib" that
is placed in /Applications/Microsoft Office X/.  In my experience, any
time you start Acrobat, it checks for the existence of a file with this
name.  If it cannot find it, it recreates the file -- regardless of the
Acrobat settings, as Bruno noted above.  I suspect that the same thing
may happen if one renames or deletes the files Bruno mentioned above,
although I cannot test with the latest Office/Acrobat.  However,
replacing the file "PDFMakerLib" with a folder of the same name (in the
same location) *does* remove the PDF toolbars from all Office
components (again, in my experience with Office X and Acrobat 6) yet
fools Acrobat into thinking the shared library file is installed.  HTH.

                                         -- Mike

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>