[OS X TeX] Adobe reader (was: [ANN] TCOBrowser-0.84)

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Jul 10 21:17:30 CEST 2005

On Jul 10, 2005, at 08:09, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2005, at 9:41 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>

>> - The installation of AdobePDFViewer results in Safari using this
>> Adobe plugin to display PDF files, instead of using the PDF
>> viewing ability built in Tiger (or the Schubert It plugin on
>> Jaguar and Panther). In Acrobat (and Reader as well), there is a
>> checkbox "Display PDF in browser using: Adobe Reader 7.0" in
>> Preferences/Internet, but the preference doesn't seem to stick:
>> the checkbox is re-checked automatically every time Acrobat/Reader
>> is used to view a PDF file.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> I've refrained from updating Adobe Reader 7 to the latest version
> for fear of going through this again. I think I set the preferences
> in Reader (you may have to do this in both Reader and Acrobat) not
> to use the plugin, quit each program and THEN deleted the plugin. I
> left the framework installed by Reader in Safari although I was
> really angry that Adobe would do that; it seems to do no harm.

That's unbelievable; an InputManager or one of the other runtime
hacks seems less dirty than actually modifying an application's
bundle like this.  My original reason for dumping Acrobat was the
Windows-style toolbar across my entire display, but I now feel even
more justified in keeping my system Adobe-free, possible thanks to
Preview, Create and TIFFany3 ;).

> I'm back to using the Shubert PDF plugin in Safari; I only miss
> scrolling using the scroll wheel on my mouse.
>
> I've actually been using the Camino browser more and more. It's
> missing some features and has a few bugs but I like its interface.
> The latest nightlies have been very stable on my system.

Still using OmniWeb here, since Safari's brushed metal and font
coloring give me eyestrain (and OW has regex ad blocking and a few
dozen other features).

Adam

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>