[OS X TeX] using lyx

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Thu Jul 7 04:46:03 CEST 2005

On Jul 6, 2005, at 19:12 , Sandra Schwartz wrote:

> Someone sent me a file that was created with lyx - how do I get it
> to run with TexShop?

I think you may have the wrong idea about LyX.  It serves a similar,
but not identical, function as TeXShop.

In TeXShop, you enter raw tex/latex, push a button, and see gorgeous
output.

In LyX, you enter (more or less) what you want to see, and LyX
displays the more-or-less gorgeous output right there.  Then you push
a button, and the real gorgeous output is displayed in a dvi/pdf
viewer.  Instead of raw tex/latex, you tell LyX what you are doing,
and then type away (for math, using raw tex/latex, of course).  It
takes a bit of getting used to but it does work.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large