[OS X TeX] i-installer and autotrace

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jul 5 08:25:14 CEST 2005

Le 5 juil. 05 à 00:53, Gerben Wierda a écrit :

> autotrace seems not to be maintained anymore. The last version is
> from January 2004 and its build (configure) is broken (does not
> recognize ImageMagick 6.1.7 as being more recent than 5.2.0). I
> patched it and compiled it and it has been uploaded. Autotrace is
> now dependent on both Freetype2 and ImageMagick.
>
> So, if all is well, it should work now.

Does work here. A very minor thing I forgot yesterday: the window of
the potrace experimental i-Package in i-Installer has retained the
title "autotrace tracing program".

An example of the outputs of autotrace and potrace on exactly the
same input, with default settings in both cases, can be seen at
<http://homepage.mac.com/bvoisin/FileSharing4.html>. autotrace is
better at tracing curves (like rounded corners), but introduces
curved artifacts otherwise (transforming lines of constant thickness
into lines of varying thickness, for example). potrace is better at
tracing straight lines, but has a tendency to miss curved lines
(missing, in particular, rounded corners). Thus it seems autotrace
would be better at calligraphy, and potrace at technical drawing.
Eventually I chose potrace, given the output had to be polished
afterwards anyway in Adobe Illustrator (by manipulating each control
point manually, so that straight lines are indeed straight lines,
rounded corners are indeed circular, etc.).

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>