[OS X TeX] i-installer and autotrace

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Jul 4 15:31:13 CEST 2005

Le 4 juil. 05 à 15:12, Stephen Moye a écrit :

> Let's get back on track. First, notice that the file that autotrace
> is looking for is:
>
>     libfreetype6.dylib
>
> and notice that there is no dot before the '6'.
>
> If I do 'ls -la libfree*' on the G5 (on which autotrace does not
> work) I get this:
>
> 9:02 lib: ls -la libfree*
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin  1821780 Dec 31  2004 libfreetype.
> 6.3.7.dylib
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  admin       23 Jul  4 08:52 libfreetype.
> 6.dylib -> libfreetype.6.3.7.dylib
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin  1962660 Dec 31  2004 libfreetype.a
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  admin       23 Jul  4 08:52 libfreetype.dylib -
> > libfreetype.6.3.7.dylib
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin      834 Dec 31  2004 libfreetype.la
> 9:02 lib:
>
> And on the G4 PowerBook (on which autotrace does work):
>
> 9:03 lib: ls -la libfree*
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin  1821780 Dec 31  2004 libfreetype.
> 6.3.7.dylib
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  admin       23 May 14 13:07 libfreetype.
> 6.dylib -> libfreetype.6.3.7.dylib
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin  1962660 Dec 31  2004 libfreetype.a
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  admin       23 May 14 13:07 libfreetype.dylib -
> > libfreetype.6.3.7.dylib
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin      834 Dec 31  2004 libfreetype.la
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin  1608544 Jan  4  2004
> libfreetype6.3.4.dylib
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  wheel       22 Apr 27  2004 libfreetype6.dylib
> -> libfreetype6.3.4.dylib
> 9:03 lib:
>
> Notice the presence of the file that autotrace is looking for. Why
> are G4 and G5 (both Tiger) directories different? I have repaired
> permissions to no avail.

It seems autotrace is looking for an older version of FreeType
(judging by the file dates), in which the naming scheme
libfreetype6.dylib was used instead of the more recent libfreetype.
6.dylib (with a dot added). The G4 has the two versions, hence
autotrace is happy.

Why you have these two version on the G4 I don't know: an older
FreeType i-Package, or a FreeType of another origin (compiled from
source?)?

If this analysis is correct, the remedy would be -- I imagine -- an
update of the FreeType and autotrace i-Packages, so that they have
matching versions (autotrace being updated to a version looking for
the current version of FreeType, or FreeType being downgraded to the
version that autotrace is looking for). Or is the added dot in the
file name an error at compilation time?

That said, I prefer personally potrace to autotrace.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>