[OS X TeX] OT: digests

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Jul 3 19:36:47 CEST 2005

Le 3 juil. 05 à 16:38, Gary L. Gray a écrit :

> On Jul 3, 2005, at 5:28 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> I am all in favour of forbidding digests. Most digest users forget
>> to change the subject line and the in-reply-to headers are also
>> incorrect. This plays havoc with mail programs and with other
>> subscribers (majority) who do not use digests.
>>
>> With the sorting capabilities of mail programs these days, digests
>> have lost their function if you ask me.
>
> I agree. On the other hand, I suspect that if I were to eliminate
> the digests I would have a revolt on my hands.
>
> What do digest users think -- can I eliminate the digests for this
> list and move you all over to the "regular" list format? Is there a
> compelling reason to keep the digests?

 From a non-digest user: I think the digests have a use. Every now
and then I'm thinking about changing subscription. Filtering rules
allow all list messages to be transferred to a mailbox upon
reception, right. But it's difficult to resist the temptation to have
a look what's there, when the message counter icon displays something
like 10, say; and I rarely do (resist). At least with a digest you're
sure to not know anything that's happening on the list for a few hours.

But that's a functionality that's interesting for people willing only
to read the list messages, not post any. I agree that for somebody
willing to post, a digest subscription isn't really appropriate.

Another suggestion, that could possibly replace digests for some
people: it would be nice to have an OS X TeX Announce list, where
announcements of new software versions would be posted. In that way
people could be aware of what's happening in the OS X TeX world,
without necessarily needing to be subscribed to the present OS X TeX
list with its high traffic.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>