[OS X TeX] BibTeX, BibDesk, EndNote - Solved

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Jan 31 22:06:38 CET 2005

On Monday, January 31, 2005, at 12:45PM, Holger Frauenrath <mail at frauenrath.com> wrote:

>On Jan 31, 2005, at 21:38, Adam Maxwell wrote:
>>
>> Please post a sample here for us to look at.  You should have
>>
>> @article{citekey,
>> key = {value},
>> key2 = {value2}
>> }
>>
>> or something similar, but I need to see the exact output from Endnote,
>> before reading it into BibDesk.  If the citekey is not displayed in
>> the list view, BibDesk didn't find a citekey, and you should have seen
>> some warnings.
>

>Bibdesk did not display warnings on the missing cite keys (only
>"invalid characters" which was solved with channging the encoding). The
>default Endnote template (included with Endnote) makes the above:
>
>@article{
>citekey,
>key = {value},
>key2 = {value2}
>}
>
>which makes BibTeX fail, and Bibdesk not display the citekeys except
>for the preview (!).

Okay, I see what's happening:  BibDesk reads in the newline as well, which explains why the citekey doesn't show up in the table, but shows up in the preview.  The next version of BibDesk will remove leading and trailing whitespace from citekeys (it already does this for the {value} lines).  This should allow direct import and repair of Endnote's BibTeX.

thanks,
Adam
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>