[OS X TeX] BibTeX, BibDesk, EndNote - Solved

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Jan 31 21:38:44 CET 2005

On Monday, January 31, 2005, at 12:28PM, Holger Frauenrath <mail at frauenrath.com> wrote:

>On Jan 31, 2005, at 21:01, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List wrote:
>
>>> Is there a way to save/export a file in Bibdesk with
>>> certain fields only? I will change the Endnote export as well, but it
>>> would still be useful for me to know this for future use.
>
>Well, I am sorry for bugging everybody on the list. Of course, it was
>Endnote's fault, at least to some extent. How could I have thought
>something else. The default template for BibTeX export format places a
>line break between @article{ and the label (cite key) which makes
>BibTeX fail. Changing this in all reference types fixes the problem.
>This occurred to me when I wanted to change the template so that the
>abstracts, notes and keywords are left out.
>
>However, I also noticed a strange behavior of Bibdesk in this context.
>Bibdesk would not display the cite keys (with the line break after
>@article{ ) in the list view or in the window for an individual
>reference. Apparently Bibdesk also had a problem with the line break.
>It would, however, display the cite key in the preview. Apparently, it
>does find/know the cite key, after all. Could Bibdesk be changed such
>that it automagically corrects the erroneous line break (just in case
>somebody else will try to use Endnote's default BibteX export in the
>future)?

Please post a sample here for us to look at.  You should have

@article{citekey,
key = {value},
key2 = {value2}
}

or something similar, but I need to see the exact output from Endnote, before reading it into BibDesk.  If the citekey is not displayed in the list view, BibDesk didn't find a citekey, and you should have seen some warnings.

--
Adam
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>