[OS X TeX] Good bye!

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Sun Jan 30 13:42:07 CET 2005

On 30 Jan 2005, at 10:50 PM, Arno Kruse wrote:

> Other fonts I tried to install: No one works. No one!
> During the last six weeks I have tried intensively to learn the way
> TeX works with fonts.

It is indeed antiquated. I never progressed very far once I realised
how much work it required. But that was before XeTeX: somehow I seem to
have missed your font adventures up until now and haven't had the
chance to loudly proclaim "if you want to use Mac OS X fonts in TeX,
you must use XeTeX -- it's the easiest thing in the world!".

> Should a genius write a program that enables a "normal" user to use
> common fonts, I shall be back immediately.

That is XeTeX, and Jonathan Kew is the genius. Visit
<scripts.sil.org/xetex> to read more, then install it with i-Installer.

Then visit the website again and go to the "Related Packages" page and
download the utf8accents package and the fontspec package.

Once they're installed (~/Library/tex/xetex/ should work fine), you can
write a minimal document like this:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setromanfont{Hoefler Text}
\begin{document}
My first XeLaTeX document, typeset in the Mac OS X font ``Hoefler
Text''.
\end{document}

ANY font that is installed in Mac OS X may be accessed in a similar
manner. Best of luck!

Will

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>