[OS X TeX] Virtual Fonts -- HOWTO

Thomas A.Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Sun Jan 30 12:14:24 CET 2005

If you search the web, there's lots of information on virtual fonts
(e.g., Knuth's very own ``Virtual Fonts: More Fun for Grand Wizards,''
available on CTAN). What I found missing was a step-by-step tutorial
for non-wizards like myself. I experimented a bit with virtual fonts
during the last couple of days. It took me a while to understand the
basics, so I thought that other people might find it useful to hear
about this and avoid some common mistakes. Most of what I write will be
trivial to most of you, but maybe someone can make good use of it. (If
any of the font experts are reading: please correct where needed; feel
free to include in any websites etc.).

1. Let's start by discussing a few of the features of virtual fonts.
They can do two immensely useful things. They can remap characters
within the same font. If you have a font foo with files foo.pfb and
foo.tfm, you can have a virtual font bar that will be identical to foo
but print an ``A'' whenever you have a ``B'' in your TeX-file. (This is
not as absurd as it sounds: some letters have alternative forms, and
with the help of virtual fonts you can switch between them without
having to edit your source file.) Or you can take some letters from a
second font, say bar. This is used quite often to include old-style
numerals or additional ligatures that are not included in the normal
font.

2. So let's begin. Usually, for any given font, you will have the two
files foo.tfm and foo.pfb (if it's a postscript font) and nothing else,
so we need to create a vf-file from scratch. This is far easier than it
sounds, and I didn't find it mentioned anywhere. Open the terminal
(yes, you will have to spend some time in this dark and scary place)
and copy foo.tfm to the directory where you will be doing your magic:
cp PATH_TO_foo.tfm ./

3. We will have to convert the binary tfm to a human-oriented property
list. Do this:
tftopl foo foo
(yes, that's right: write foo twice)
All the tools and programs mentioned here come with a normal TeX
installation.

4. You now have a new file foo.pl which contains all the information
about the font that TeX needs. Open it in your favorite text editor;
make certain that it is set to use UNIX line-endings (all kinds of
nasty things can happen when UNIX apps like TeX encounter mac
line-endings). The first couple of lines will read like this:
(FAMILY TEX-FOO)
(FACE F MRR)
(CODINGSCHEME FONTSPECIFIC + TEX TEXT)
(DESIGNSIZE R 10.0)
(COMMENT DESIGNSIZE IS IN POINTS)
(COMMENT OTHER SIZES ARE MULTIPLES OF DESIGNSIZE)
(FONTDIMEN
    (SLANT R 0.0)
    (SPACE R 0.252)
    (STRETCH R 0.2)
    (SHRINK R 0.1)
    (XHEIGHT R 0.459)
    (QUAD R 1.0)
    (EXTRASPACE R 0.111)
    )
(LIGTABLE
etc.
If there is a line (CHECKSUM O ...), delete it (it will be regenerated
later).

5. In order to generate a virtual font, you need to modify this file.
First, you will have to tell TeX which fonts this virtual font will be
referring to. Let's say they're foo.tfm and bar.tfm (needless to say,
both have to be installed and functional in your TeX-installation).
Just before the line starting with (LIGTABLE, add this:
(MAPFONT D 0
    (FONTNAME foo)
    (FONTDSIZE R 10.0)
    )
(MAPFONT D 1
    (FONTNAME bar)
    (FONTDSIZE R 10.0)
    )
The FONTDSIZE of foo could be found in the first lines (DESIGNSIZE R
10.0), so you only need to copy this information. If you want to know
the DSIZE of bar, just convert bar.tfm into bar.pl and open this file.
For the time being, let's say you want to use just one font and remap
characters within this font, so you will add only the section referring
to MAPFONT D 0; we'll take care of bar later.

6. If you scroll down in this file, the LIGTABLE (containing
information about ligatures and kerning) will end with two lines
(STOP)
)
After this, the section with information about all the defined
characters in the font will follow, probably starting something like
this:
(CHARACTER O 0
    (CHARWD R 0.674)
    (CHARHT R 0.726)
    )
As you know, TeX cares only about the dimensions of every character and
puts an empty box with this dimension into the .dvi. It is only when
this .dvi is interpreted by a postscript- or pdf-driver that the actual
character (the ``glyph'') is put into this box. So let us assume you
want to have a virtual font that will always print ``A'' when you have
``B'' in your source. Scroll further down until you reach the section
with the capital letters:
(CHARACTER C A
    (CHARWD R 0.747)
    (CHARHT R 0.747)
    )
(CHARACTER C B
    (CHARWD R 0.739)
    (CHARHT R 0.726)
    )
TeX will be using the box described here, so the first thing you need
to do is copy the dimensions of ``A'' into ``B.'' So the section should
look like this:
(CHARACTER C A
    (CHARWD R 0.747)
    (CHARHT R 0.747)
    )
(CHARACTER C B
    (CHARWD R 0.747)
    (CHARHT R 0.747)
    )
Next (and this is the magic of virtual fonts) you will tell TeX that it
should remap ``B'' to ``A.'' Just before the closing parenthesis of
CHARACTER B, you will insert a new section. Now ``B'' will look like
this:
(CHARACTER C B
    (CHARWD R 0.747)
    (CHARHT R 0.747)
    (MAP
       (SETCHAR C A)
       )
    )

7. That's it! You have modified the font description; now you need to
generate the binary files for TeX to use. The nest step is extremely
important: SAVE THE FILE TO A DIFFERENT NAME. So in our case, let's say
we call the new virtual font foobar (the name doesn't matter; the
extension has to be .vpl); so save to foobar.vpl

8. Back to the Terminal. We now run a little program that will convert
your foobar.vpl into two new files: foobar.tfm and foobar.vf
vptovf foobar.vpl
This will not only do the conversion, it will also check whether you
.vpl-file is in good order. It is very picky about the right
indentation level and parentheses, and it will tell you exactly in
which line there are problems. So if you get errors, just go back and
edit foobar.vpl again. vptovf may also tell you that it had to ``round
some units,'' that's OK.

9. So now you should have foobar.vf and foobar.tfm. Copy both files
into the right places. I would suggest you create your own texmf-branch
in your home directory, under ~/Library. So the files should go here:
cp foobar.tfm ~/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm/
cp foobar.vf ~/Library/texmf/fonts/vf
(you will have to create these directories if they don't exist yet).
Since this virtual font will only be seen by TeX, you don't need to
fiddle with any map file; for the postscript- or pdf-driver, only font
foo will exist, which was already functional. Before you embark on a
long journey with this new virtual font (say your 1200-page thesis that
is due in two weeks), it would be a brilliant idea to test it in a nice
quiet little directory on your box, let's assume /tmp. Do this:
cd /tmp
pdfetex testfont
This will present you with a new prompt to give the name of the font,
so you type
foobar
again a new prompt asking you for a command
\table
and then
\end
If all goes well, a file testfont.pdf will be created, with a table
showing that font foobar does not have a letter ``B,'' but twice the
letter ``A''---which is just what we wanted.

10. Now let's assume you want to include further stuff, like old-style
numerals or ligatures from font bar. We go back to our working
directory and delete the old file foobar.vpl. Don't worry, we'll create
it again:
vftovp foobar foobar foobar
The reason we do this is that vftovp will automagically include one
important piece of information: every character description will now
look like this:
(CHARACTER C A
    (CHARWD R 0.747)
    (CHARHT R 0.747)
    (MAP
       (SETCHAR C A)
       )
    )
This is already not bad, but if we want to mix glyphs from two fonts,
we will have to say which font to use at every instance. So in your
editor, you should perform a ``find and replace'' that will find every
instance of (MAP and replace it with
(MAP
    (SELECTFONT D 0)
In emacs, it is possible to include the line break in the replace
pattern, I don't know if (and how) other editors can handle it.
Moreover, as described in section 5, add the information about the
second font:
(MAPFONT D 1
    (FONTNAME bar)
    (FONTDSIZE R 10.0)
    )

11. Now look for the section containing the numerals. It should start
like this:
(CHARACTER C 0
    (CHARWD R 0.514)
    (CHARHT R 0.628)
    (CHARDP R 0.1)
    (MAP
       (SELECTFONT D 0)
       (SETCHAR C 0)
       )
    )
Again, the first thing you should do is copy the dimensions about
CHARACTER C 0 from bar.pl to foo.pl. Then replace (SELECTFONT D 0) with
(SELECTFONT D 1), and everything should work: After you have generated
the tfm/vf pair (section 8) and copied these files to the right
directories (section 9), TeX will look at the tfm/vf pair, and will
take the numerals from font bar, everything else from font foo. Again,
test to see if this works as expected.

Hope this can help. I'm not a font wizzard myself, so I probably won't
be able to help with further questions.

Best

Thomas

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>