[OS X TeX] TeX Install Problems

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 26 19:14:16 CET 2005

On 26 jan 2005, at 18:17, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> I've installed TeX, Ghostscript 8, and many others now.  Once I added
> "/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8" to my path, the
> publishing system seemed to find the programs when I would try to run
> it.

the i-Installer package offers to add the needed paths. You're better
off with those, because it uses
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current, which is maintained
as Apple updates Darwin. You'd better make sure that $PATH doesn't
contain both of these paths, do an "echo $PATH" in the terminal to be
sure.

>   0:    (../PPStuff/util/tex/OutputType.tex
> (../PPStuff/util/tex/BOOK/params.tex)
>   0:    (../PPStuff/util/tex/pragprog.sty
>   0:    LaTeX Warning: Command \@starttoc  has changed.
>   0:                   Check if current package is valid.

This might be it. The i-Installer installs pretty new versions of
packages, and it seems the publishing group is expecting an older
version (way older I guess). So it might still be a problem with
combining the two.

>   0:    This is `epsf.tex' v2.7k <10 July 1997>
>   0:     v97 patch 2, 1998/03/19))
>   0:     v97 patch 11, 2000/11/09)  v97 patch 6, 2004/07/24))
>   0:     v97 patch 2, 1999/12/12
>   0:     v1.41, 2004/05/18 <tvz>)))

The only epsf.tex I have is meant for plain TeX, not LaTeX. Are they
sure this is correct? Another though: is this system meant for pdfetex,
or palin tex (through dvi ->dvips -> ps)?

>   2:    (../PPStuff/util/tex/FrontMatter.tex
>   2:    ! Illegal unit of measure (pt inserted).
>   2:    <to be read again>
>   2:                       2
>   2:    l.70     \vspace{1in}\makebox[0pt][r]{\PPTitle}
>   2:                                                   \\[4pt]

I think it has to do with the changes in \@starttoc. The publishing
system patches this, and due to internal changes, this is now
impossible. This causes all kinds of errors when producing the ToC, I
think (all PP*Title commands, might be the generation of a ToC).
Probably the patch wasn't added at all, and this may be the problem.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>