[OS X TeX] Installing, using xyling

mark oilcan markoilcan at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 16:47:01 CET 2005

--- Frederick Hoyt <fmhoyt at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> There error looks like it's associated with the following line (229)
> in
> xyps-ps.tex:
>
> {\catcode`\^^M=\active%
>
> The "^M" sequence looks like a macintosh line-break symbol. Could
> this
> be part of the problem?

I don't know the answer, but you can easily find out by converting Mac
line endings to unix line endings. If you don't know how to do that
easily use the following command in Terminal:

perl -pi -e 'tr/\015/\012/' xyps-ps.tex

The above assumes you're in the directory that has xyps-ps.tex. The
command replaces the original file with Mac line endings with one that
has unix line endings. If you want to be extra safe and keep a backup
copy of the original file change the -pi flag to -pi.bak

For convenience I keep this command in my .bashrc file and name it
mac2unix, which is a lot easier to type. If you want to do that put the
following lines in your .bashrc:

mac2unix()
{
    perl -pi -e 'tr/\015/\012/' $1
}

If you use tcsh the following line in .cshrc should work (I think. It's
been a while since I've written csh aliases).

alias mac2unix perl -pi -e 'tr/\015/\012/'

MarkA