[OS X TeX] Current "best practice" for Lucida under TeXShop [OT]

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Jan 25 12:35:25 CET 2005

On 25 Jan 2005, at 11:09 am, Ralph Martin wrote:

> On 25 Jan 2005, at 11:05 am, Jonathan Kew wrote:

>>> It does get a bit silly, doesn't it. ... "Using" any piece of
>>> software normally involves such transient "copying" into
>>> memory--multiple times, what with the cache on the hard drive, the
>>> CPU caches, etc.
>>
>> OTOH, making a persistent copy or derivative on your hard drive, such
>> as by using FontForge to convert to Type 1, re-encode the font, etc.,
>> would pretty clearly be contrary to these license terms.
>
> And so is embedding font subsets into pdf documents. This license
> clearly needs rewriting.

One could claim that this is merely a standard way of "using" a font.
Note that individual TrueType fonts include flags that specify what
type(s) of embedding are or aren't permitted.

I also note that the Lucida Bright TTFs included in the Java package do
*not* permit any embedding (not even read-only subsets); this seems to
imply that they are licensed *only* for use on the host computer, for
screen display or to create raster images. (I haven't tried creating a
PDF via OS X Quartz to see if it actually respects the no-embedding
restriction, but I assume it would.)

I'm not suggesting that I like this kind of font licensing; nor
disputing that the text could be clarified; but I think the intent of
the license is reasonably clear.

JK

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>