[OS X TeX] Incorrect fontsmpl?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Jan 23 16:25:58 CET 2005

Am 23.01.2005 um 04:51 schrieb Will Robertson:

> On 23 Jan 2005, at 7:03 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> Am 22.01.2005 um 18:36 schrieb Will Robertson:
>>
>>> Is there a reason that you need to do this conversion?
>>
>> Yes! Support for non-PDF output. Smaller production output.
>
> You mean the DVI->PS route? I suppose this is valid if you use
> pstricks or whatever. I always forget about that :)

Yes, of course. The next 10 or 15 this route will be of some importance
for some people. Since it works in many ways to give 'old TeX' support
for TrueType fonts, the general method of TrueType font support in TeX
should be compatible with the 'old way' of TeX'ing.

> If you aren't using pdfTeX, ttf2tex will automatically create bitmap
> versions of the fonts for running TeX->DVI->PS.
>
>> Besides this I really don't know how to select a fontsize, shape,
>> encoding, and a specific glyph, for example \l. Where come the sty
>> and fd files from? Is there more than just: "it works with pdfTeX"?
>> It works with a map entry like
>>
>> tfmname Basefontname <fontfile.ext xx.enc
>
> To copy from the ttf2tex readme:

To copy from real life: ttf2tex is a mess. Philip Lehman once wrote me
that he wrote this script for some problem he once had.

In case you have the usual set of four fonts, ttf2tex will not be able
to make it one family. It will fake upright to slanted without
recognizing the proper fonts, it has no concept of monospaced fonts
although you can grant the option '--typewriter' -- it only changes
hyphenation instead of understanding that Lucida Sans Typewriter is
hls[rb]t and Lucida Sans is just hls[rb].

A fontsmpl from these TeX fonts is almost invisible ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>