[OS X TeX] Semi-OT

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Jan 23 12:34:01 CET 2005

Le 23 janv. 05, à 11:40, Maarten Sneep a écrit :

> Another reason to favour numbered references (to some extend) is
> strongly dependent on the length of the author list of the articles.
> Some of the articles coming out of CERN and similar institutions have
> an author list that is beyond long (in fact they can be longer than
> what bibtex can handle, 1000+ characters). There are of course ways
> around this, jut naming the experiment (Aleph, 2000), but it still
> feels as a kludge (to me, anyway).

You've got a point here indeed. In my field (fluid mechanics), the
dominant type of citation is one paper per reference, and generally
papers do not have more than three or four authors (though the number
of authors per paper is gradually increasing). Hence Doe & Smith (1999)
is more explicit than [1] with [1] being defined in the list of
references as Doe & Smith (1999). But when papers have more than three
authors, Doe et al. (1999, 2000a, c, d, 2001) stops being as explicit
as it could, with Doe et al. referring for each paper to a different
list of authors.

Bruno

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>