[OS X TeX] Semi-OT

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 23 11:40:52 CET 2005

On 22 jan 2005, at 18:47, Matthew Inglis wrote:

>>> On the other hand, when you cite references [2-14], the author-year
>>> makes me forget what the whole sentence was about in the first
>>> place, because you'd have to read past half a page of authors and
>>> years.
>>
>> Ah, that's true. Certainly wouldn't have an easy way around that with
>> author-date.
>
> The easy round this problem is to avoid, at all costs, citing 12
> papers in one go, with no explanation as to why the reader should be
> interested in all of them.

True to some extend, although sometimes you just want to indicate that
your measurement technique has a range of different applications.

Another reason to favour numbered references (to some extend) is
strongly dependent on the length of the author list of the articles.
Some of the articles coming out of CERN and similar institutions have
an author list that is beyond long (in fact they can be longer than
what bibtex can handle, 1000+ characters). There are of course ways
around this, jut naming the experiment (Aleph, 2000), but it still
feels as a kludge (to me, anyway).

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>