[OS X TeX] xdvi and/or acrobat reader with darwin ports emacs

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Jan 23 00:46:20 CET 2005

On Jan 22, 2005, at 13:35, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 22.01.2005 um 20:52 schrieb Adam R. Maxwell:
>

>> At some level, Quartz turns everything it displays into PDF anyway,
>> so maybe they're all PDF viewers.
>>

> At least the X clients are pure.

What do you mean by this?  As someone who has spent a lot of time
porting and using X11 applications on a variety of platforms, I think X
purely sucks :P.  Anyway, X11 on OS X still uses CoreGraphics, as far
as I can tell.

> And I too think that there are graphics applications in Aqua that just
> reserve a window frame, put a canvas there, and start to draw. Tom
> Kiffe's MacDviX and MacGhostview are of this kind, all Carbon and Aqua
> Emacsen ...

Depending on how they do this, it may or may not be a good idea.
Applications can still use QuickDraw, but it is strongly deprecated in
favor of Quartz/CoreGraphics, which TeXniscope uses, and Andrew Choi
appears to be working an an XEmacs Carbon port using CG and ATSUI.

> Carbon, the compatibility API for Classic applications, might have no
> idea of PDF. This PDF display thing means that you're using a canvas
> that can be warped, stretched, shrunk, manipulated with PostScript
> operators. Some canvases resist ...

Carbon is a procedural C API for Mac OS X, not just a Classic
compatibility API.  Carbon applications can use CoreGraphics as well; I
think Apple's CarbonSketch is the canonical example of this.  Carbon
application developers are encouraged to migrate to Quartz2D, for good
reason.

--
Adam

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>