[OS X TeX] xdvi and/or acrobat reader with darwin ports emacs

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at zeno.math.fsu.edu
Sat Jan 22 17:21:52 CET 2005

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 04:45:10PM +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 22.01.2005 um 14:55 schrieb Curtis Clifton:
>
> >This is the interesting question.  Can _Carbon_ Emacs work with xdvi?
> >Or does one have to use an X11 version of emacs?
>
> It can. Provided X11 is running. xdvi is a "normal" programme, not that
> strange as a Carbon application (with its contents somewehre hidden).
> And from an X11 client as GNU Emacs I can launch Carbon or Aqua (Cocoa)
> Applications.

There is a little command, /usr/bin/open-x11, a shell script
to open X11 applications in the same fashion as the 'open'
command. Trouble is, in the Jaguar version, you could, e.g. say

	open-x11 xdvi file[.dvi]

and _provided X11.app is already running_ xdvi would open with
your file preview. The Panther version is capable of opening the
X11.app if it is not already running, however it interprets all
its argument as programs, hence the line above would give you an
xdvi window, with no file, in general, or maybe the last one in
the "recent files" menu, depending on what xdvi you have.

In short: I have ketpt the Jaguar open-x11 version in my ~/bin
directory and from Carbon Emacs I can use

	~/bin/open-x11 xdvi file

as my view command. If X11.app is already running it opens fine.
All in all, xdvi is still my favorite preview application
(texniscope being the runnerup). It should be anyway easy to fix
the current Panther open-x11 argument sillyness...I think.

--Ettore
--
Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics	 http://www.math.fsu.edu/~ealdrov
Florida State University       	       aldrovandi at math.fsu.edu
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510, USA     +1 (850) 644-9717 (FAX: 4053)
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>