[OS X TeX] Common directory for packages?

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Fri Jan 21 06:31:26 CET 2005

On 21 Jan 2005, at 3:24 PM, KL Tah wrote:

> Does anyone happen to know where I can put my .sty files so that
> TexShop
> will read them regardless of where the .tex file resides? My solution
> date has been to put a copy of all the .sty files wherever there is a
> tex
> source but this is obviously not the way to go.

Yuck, don't do that! :)
Put your .sty files in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/
( "~/" stands for /Users/<your name>/ )
If you want to use other stuff like bibtex files, they would go in
    ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib/     or
    ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst/     , depending on what type of file
they are.

This (~/Library/texmf/) is your local tree (seen by no other users of
the computer), and simply placing the files there will be enough for
TeX to recognise them. If you want everyone on the computer to be able
to use the extra stuff, you can put it in
    /usr/local/tetex/share/texmf.local/...

And then run 'texhash' on the terminal.

Hope that helps and all makes sense,
Will