[OS X TeX] Fragile Commands [Was: how to convert .doc to .TEX?]

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Thu Jan 20 02:30:14 CET 2005

On 20 Jan 2005, at 11:19 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> I prefer slightly more accurate hammers:
>
> \let\myemph\emph
> \usepackage{pdfsync}
> \let\emph\myemph
>
> This will ensure you use  the real \emph command (ensuring the same
> layout), by storing the working, non-fragile \emph command and using
> that instead. Note that this (obviously) disables part of pdfsync.

I prefer fixing the problem, instead of hammering it out:

    \usepackage{pdfsync}
    \makeatletter
      \def\emph{{\protect\@PDFSYNC}\PDFSYNC at emph}
    \makeatother

(Trying to use \DeclareRobustCommand exceeded my TeX capacity; I guess
it's only for simple commands.)

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader (i.e., I'm too lazy/busy to
do it myself) to see if this is necessary for other commands patched by
pdfsync.

In hindsight, this should have been done when the problem first arose :)

Was it Curtis Clifton who patched a different part of pdfsync (\par to
\@@par or vice versa)? Maybe we should start a pdfsyncfix package until
Jérôme is able to do it himself...

Regards,
Will