[OS X TeX] how to convert .doc to .TEX?

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jan 19 19:51:21 CET 2005

On 1/19/05 11:55 AM, "Alain Schremmer" <Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net> wrote:

> This was my understanding back when I "read somewhere that I should have
> used \emph" and when, as a result, I changed \textit to \emph.

Howdy,

You are doing the right thing!

> The "misadventure" started in a complicated way, with commutative
> diagrams while using the old pdfsync.sty with
>   \usepackage{askinclude}
> culminating with the three-part example I gave on 1/17/05 5:00 PM
> On Voisin's suggestion, I changed \emph to \textit  in the headings and,
> indeed, all is well now.

I don't have the askinclude package but commenting out that line didn't
change anything as far as the problem is concerned. Commenting out the
pdfsync line eliminated the problem (make sure you get rid of the old .aux,
etc., files before starting over with the pdfsync line commented out). So it
has something to do with pdfsync.

After playing with your example what I see is that the \protect is needed so
that pdfsync doesn't write something into the B.aux file which messes up the
second pass. Why it does that is something I don't understand. It also means
that under ordinary circumstances you don't need \protect\emph{} text. The
problem might persist with other commands within moveable arguments.

> So, my current understanding (with the emphasis on current) is that
> \emph is still the way to go except in "movable input (like the argument
> of \section, \caption, etc.)" where it needs either to be protected or
> replaced by \textit.

My suggestion is to \protect it if you want to understand what you meant to
do at a later date; it can't do any harm.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>