[OS X TeX] how to convert .doc to .TEX?

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Wed Jan 19 00:26:45 CET 2005

I have a similar problem, namely I am "converting" a whole book from MS
Word to LaTeX.

Long time ago (on the LaTeX learning scale) I tried the MS Word —> rtf
—> rtf2latex —> LaTeX route and, while it worked, the code it generated
was too different from what I was writing for me to use—e.g. commands I
hadn't learned yet, and therefore too difficult for me to debug. For
instance, I had small tables which rtf2latex was turning into "floating"
tables.

And so, I let it go and started to rewrite everything into LaTeX "by hand".

As a result of this post, though, I just tried the MSWord —>
AbiWord—>Latex route. (By the way I could not open a MSWord file with
AbiWord but could copy-paste from MsWord to AbiWord. Equations of course
got lost but, I would think that's unavoidable.

I have the same impression as with rtf2latex: The code it generates is
different from what I am used to. For instance, it uses systematically
\textit while I use \emph (the "notoriously" fragile command but that's
another story!).

But it just occurred to me that, now, instead of hoping to convert
"globally" one file to another, I should try an intermediate,
"piece-wise" route. What I will do is to:

 - cut up the AbiWord-generated LaTeX into "blocks",
 - try to learn how to use the OgreKit panel to "translate" these blocks
into my version of LaTeX. (e.g. \textit —> \emph)
 - copy-paste these blocks one at a time into the LaTeX book—and typeset
each time to find out the problems ASAP.

That should still be faster than the way I have gone so far and I would
use the chapter/section structure that I already have in the LaTeX book
rather than convert the structure from the MSWord book.

I will report in a couple of weeks on how this went.

Here are a couple of relevant things:

I was intrigued by the latter but didn't look like something that would
work on the Mac out of the box and I am quite incapable of tinkering
with it.

Regards
--schremmer

P.S. At first, I had even considered buying a cheap wintel with Word2Tex.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>