[OS X TeX] Word count function?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 18 11:40:29 CET 2005

On 18 jan 2005, at 2:12, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2005, at 7:10 PM, Ettore Aldrovandi wrote:

>>> And be sure to read
>>>     http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=wordcount
>>> to understand why the result might be way off.
>>
>> Didn't claim it is precise. [...] If it is mostly text, maybe the
>> inaccuracy wouldn't be so serious.
>
> Excalibur will count fairly accurately w/o including latex commands.
> You can invoke it through texshop via an applescript. I use the
> following (copied directly from the Macros menu):

Any means of automated counting is bound to be inacurate: please count
the number of words in $E = mc^2$. Besides: if you use a bibliography,
the number of words will be seriously underestimated, unless detex
includes the .bbl files for you (the command \bibliography{} will
introduce many pages). More commands that introduce significant lengths
of text are known to exist.

There is a trick that might work to some extend (leaving the maths as
an unresolved issue): count the number of words in the output of
dvi2tty instead of detex. Since this counts the words in the output of
TeX, it is likely to generate a more accurate result, although it still
leaves the problem of page numbers. To get around that issue: use
tex4ht and count the words in the html output.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>