[OS X TeX] OT? advice for a windows-using friend

Bernhard Barkow bb at creativeeyes.at
Sat Jan 15 15:48:39 CET 2005

Hi,

MikTeX (www.miktex.org) is a good solution for Windows, and together
with the WinEdt editor (www.winedt.com, shareware and definitely worth
its money) is quite a usable combination (at least it was 1.5 years
ago, when I last had to use TeX on Windows...). Of course there are
also Emacs ports for Windows which can be highly integrated into a good
TeX system, but I guess this won't be the perfect choice in your case.
There are also commercial TeX variants (PcTeX for example), but I never
saw any benefit over the freeware/shareware solutions.
teTeX and KyLE on Linux is also a good alternative, if it should be
cheap, and the Mac is too exotic for your friend ;-)

However, I can honestly say that all of those solutions never come even
near to using TeXShop or other packages on the Mac, and the advice by
Curtis Clifton with the new Mac mini sounds like a great idea; this
machine indeed seems to be the perfect tool for switching from the PC
to the Mac! (http://www.apple.com/macmini/)

HTH,
BB

On 15. Jän 2005, at 4:38, John A. Johnson wrote:

> A friend of mine mentioned the other day that he was using Scientific
> Word to do his PhD in physics, and that when he was done he would have
> to either buy it or use something else; he's using a license from his
> university in Ankara.
>
> I mentioned LaTeX and the pdfsync work that has been done here and he
> was quite interested, until I told him that this was all for OS X. He
> asked whether such a thing existed for Windows.
>
> ISTR that question coming up here before, and the aswer being 'no.' Is
> this the case? In any event, are there places for Windows TeX users
> similar to the wonderful OS X TeX site of Joe Slater & Gary Gray? I'm
> going to talk to him about OS X, and maybe he'll be interested, but I
> do want to be able to help him out even if he doesn't want to come
> over to the Mac side. References and URL's would be much appreciated.
> TIA
>
> John A. Johnson
> History and Philosophy of Science
> Indiana University

> List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>

__ mail bb at creativeeyes.at __ www.creativeeyes.at __
__ Phone  +43 699 12660415 __ Fax   +43 1 8775334 __

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>