[OS X TeX] Bibliography: pedestrian way works too...

Josep M.Font pepf54 at tiscali.es
Fri Jan 14 12:01:53 CET 2005

El 14 ene 2005, a las 9:25, Bruno Voisin escribió:

> Le 14 janv. 05, à 08:52, Josep M.Font a écrit :
>
>> Great! I installed it with the latest version of i-Installer (got a
>> message "installation completed successfully") but when invoking
>> bibtool I get a "tcsh: bibtool: Command not found." message. Is there
>> something I should do before using it ? How can I confirm it is
>> really installed ? I re-installed it from the local i-package, wilth
>> the same results.
>>
>> According to the information given by the i-package, it should be
>> installed in /usr/local. However, here I only have the directories:
>> bin, include, lib, man, share, tetex. The Finder search does not find
>> any directory or file containing "bibtool" in its name (other than
>> the i-package). Is the installer broken ? Am I doing something wrong
>> ?
>
> In the Subprocess Output window of i-Installer, you get after install
> the BibTool i-Package:

[...]

> This tells what was installed and where (replace . by /usr/local). If
> you don't have these files, then something went wrong during the
> install.
>
> Regarding the message about tcsh not found, it seems you have tcsh set
> as your shell. What does "echo $PATH" return? There should be
> /usr/local/bin in the output.

[lots of useful information]

> Finally, in the Finder search, you need to make sure that you have
> selected, as one search criteria, "Visibility = Visible and invisible
> elements" (the exact wording is probably different in English, I'm
> translating approximately from the French).
>
> Hope this helps,

It helped! Everything was right in my installation, as you describe,
which made me think the problem did not come from bibtool or i-package,
and suddenly I recalled it: My terminal window had been opened since
some time, and I had not restarted it! I recalled this is necessary
whenever you do such installation tasks. After restarting it,
everything is OK, and bibtool worked as expected: very well.

As a bonus, I learnt something about BibTeX which I should have known:
it does not distinguish between upper- and lower-case in the names of
entries and fields and in the citation keys; this is explained in
Lamport's book (pp. 156/157 of 1985 ed.), and explains why bibtool
converts all keys and named strings to lowercase without affecting
their subsequent use. This mean I should be more careful when choosing
keys (up to now I was combining upper- and lower-cases in a meaningful
way). It's a pity.

Many thanks to Martin and Bruno.

JMaF

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>