[OS X TeX] Bibliography: pedestrian way works too...

Mohinish shukla at sissa.it
Thu Jan 13 10:04:45 CET 2005

Hi,
I was wondering about this: I have a rather large bibliography (bibtex)
file, and generally all the articles I write pick out citations out of
it. What I was thinking was, in order to distribute just the tex file,
it would be great to be able to imbed the necessary bibtex entries into
the file. I thought of writing an Applescript which would search
through all the \cite commands, extract the relevant entries from a
bibtex file (directory of files?) and insert these at the end of the
tex doc.
	Of course, being cr at p at Applescript, I got nowhere :(
Does someone have something similar?
Thanks in advance!
-Mohinish

On 12 Jan 2005, at 7:01 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 12 janv. 05, à 18:22, Douglas Hemmick a écrit :
>
>> Nobody likes the "pedestrian" way for bibliographies...?
>>
>> You don't need a separate program like BibTeX, or a separate
>> data file, but just put your bibliographic listings inside of
>> the actual .tex file itself.
>
> That's what I do. At the time natbib and other similar customizable
> bibliographical packages weren't available, and the only solution was
> to explore Nelson Beebe's archive of bibliographical styles and adapt
> what was there, I found no available style would provide the exact
> presentations -- of author-date type in my field -- that were required
> by specific scientific journals (complicated rules involving, for
> example, no comma between author and year, commas between successive
> years, semi-columns between different papers, with variations
> depending on context).
>
> Then I turned to doing everything manually, writing the references in
> full in the body of the documents, and doing cut-and-paste and editing
> from files where I had collected a large number of references. I have
> always had the impression that, for somebody writing, say, not more
> than 4 or 5 documents including bibliographies per year, it was
> actually more time-consuming to learn BibTeX and get it to produce a
> specific bibliographical style, than to just write things manually
> oneself and pay a lot of attention to chasing misprints and omissions.
>
> That said, with the advent of tools like BibDesk (and previously
> HyperBibTeX) for managing references with a GUI, with the existence of
> customizable styles like natbib, and possibly with the possibility to
> import directly references in BibTeX format from databases and
> scientific publishers' sites, and possibly with the generalized use of
> DOIs (Document Object Identifiers), that statement may very well
> become obsolete.
>
> FWIW,
>
> Bruno Voisin
> List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>

mohinish shukla
cognitive neuroscience
international school for advanced studies (sissa)
via beirut 2-4
trieste (ts) - 34014
italy

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>