[OS X TeX] Permissions

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Mon Jan 10 23:24:59 CET 2005

Hi all.

I had to reinstall a couple of computers in our lab. After I had
reinstalled TeX using i-Installer which I had done as "adminstrator"
(i.e. the only account with adminstrative rights on the machines), no
normal user including myself was able to use TeX anymore. Here is what
TeXShop says:

> /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf: Permission denied
> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20b-rc5-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
>  \write18 enabled.
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
> /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf: Permission denied

[snip]

> fmtutil: format `pdflatex' not available.
> I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

I redid the Configure stage, and chose to check the TeX ownership this
time. It was set to "System Administrator" (which is root, I guess,
right?) which seems the appropriate choice compared to the other
individual users. Also, I had never even bothered to check before and
never had a problem. I tried to set it to something else, but, of
course, only the particular user I had chosen was able to use TeX then
(at least it showed that the installation was functional).

Can somebody point me to what I have done wrong - or what I need to do?
I checked the list archives and the TeX FAQ but could not find
anything. If I overlooked something, just a little pointer to where I
can read about it would be nice.

Thanks.
Holger

__