[OS X TeX] input versus include in Texshop

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 6 14:06:34 CET 2005

Hi Curtis and David (and the others on the list),

This patch helps for me.

On 6 jan 2005, at 5:19, Curtis Clifton wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2005, at 6:15 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>> Is anyone aware of recent changes to LaTeXs internals (\@@par in
>> particular) that may have thown off pdfsync? Other changes in the
>> last year? I'm running TL2005 (This is pdfeTeXk, Version
>> 3.141592-1.20b-rc5-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3) (format=pdflatex 2005.1.4)).
>
> I posted a similar problem to the list and received no response, other
> than Will suggesting that I ask on the comp.text.tex list.  Before I
> did that, I debugged the problem with pdfsync myself and submitted a
> patch to Jerome.  That was several weeks ago and I haven't received a
> reply, though the holidays certainly may have been a factor.  Here is
> my description of the patch:
>
>> The pdfsync package does not insert synchronization markers at
>> paragraphs for a very simple document.
>>
>> The bug appears to have been introduced by in version 0.6 of
>> pdfsync.sty with the change:
>> %%%%  2004-01-31:
>> %%%%  \@@par is patched instead of \par
>> %%%%  The pdfsync anchor is now after the \@@par
>>
>> I made a small change to pdfsync.sty and now I'm getting the
>> synchronization marks at the start of all paragraphs as expected.
>> The change is to replace the following line:
>>
>> \global\let\PDFSYNC at par\@@par\gdef\@@par{\PDFSYNC at par\@PDFSYNC}\fi%
>>
>> with the lines:
>>         \global\let\PDFSYNC at everypar\everypar%
>>         \newtoks\everypar%
>>         \everypar\expandafter{\the\PDFSYNC at everypar}%
>>         \PDFSYNC at everypar{\the\everypar\@PDFSYNC}\fi%
>>
>> The basic code is from a comp.text.tex post by David Kastrup.
>> Essentially it works at the TeX level instead of the LaTeX level so
>> that pdfsync does not rely on LaTeX's use of \@@par for inserting
>> synchronization marks.
>
> I think the issue is that for more complex documents \@@par comes into
> play in LaTeX and thus the current pdfsync works fine.  However, for
> simple documents \@@par isn't used.  The patch instead redefines TeX's
> \everypar.

I think I vaguely remember that discussion: doesn't every package
redefine \everypar? :)

> I've been using the patched pdfsync since mid-December without any
> difficulty on a wide variety of documents, from one page letters to a
> 100+ page, math-heavy thesis.  I'm no TeX-pert, so their certainly
> could be problems with my solutions, but my research and experience
> haven't revealed any.

In my simple tests is seems to work just fine, including David's
mysterious packages - I had to remove all custom fonts: replaced them
all by cmr10 at 10pt. I'm sure that destroys all careful design that
went into the book, but at least I was able to perform some tests.
These custom style files seem to have no ill effect on pdfsync at all,
so try the patch Curtis provided.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>