[OS X TeX] Re: TeX books in general (was Re: TeXbook)

Doug Fields dfields-macosx-tex-0205 at pexicom.com
Mon Feb 28 20:32:22 CET 2005

I found this post to be extremely helpful. If anyone has any pointers
to a summary of current TeX and LaTeX related books, as well as a
"learning" or "reading" map, I'd welcome the input.

I just ordered yesterday (the post came too late) four books (of which
two were compilations of books) on the subject, after wading through
about two dozen candidates on Amazon. It seems that many books were
published in the 90s, and not too many recently. My prejudice was
toward the more recent books, but that may be a misplaced prejudice.
You gotta love "same day delivery" from B&N.

*) LaTeX Companion (ISBN 0201362996)
*) A Guide to LaTeX (0321173856)
*) Computers and Typesetting (I always like another Knuth library; he's
like a CS Feynman) (0201734168)
*) LaTeX Companions Set (0321269446)

I'm about 2/3rds done with my first LaTeX document, which is currently
22 pages. It's a business document (I don't do much math) but so far
I'm so much happier with this than I ever was with Word, despite the
fact that my Word documents were always extremely highly structured
(proper use of styles, etc.).

Cheers,

Doug

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>