[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package release in *EXPERIMENTAL* i-Directory

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Feb 28 10:37:34 CET 2005

> Le 27 févr. 05, à 21:42, Martin Stokhof a écrit :
>
>> I've always wondered why they were in ~/Documents and not in
>> ~/Library/Application Support.
>
> I've used i-Installer's to move the i-Packages to ~/Library/i-Packages,
> to parallel the location /Library/Receipts for Apple Installer's
> package receipts.
>
> In any case, given the software installed by i-Installer resides in
> /usr/local and is usable by all users of a Mac, I would have thought
> even more logical to put the i-Packages in /Library/i-Packages.

1. i-Installer is agnostic about where software is installed and who owns
it. It depends on the package if it can berelocated/installed
unauthenticated. E.g. you can remove the 'admin' flag in Pkg Properties
and install in your home directory and TeX will still install and work
fine. The nice thing about the TeX i-Package is that it can even be
installed if you do *not* have admin rights on your machine. i-Installer
is not just for /usr/local (in fact some things are even installed in /
(X11-stuff) or in /Applications/Utilities (i-Installer itself)
2. Having these packages shared in /Library opens up a quagmire of
permissions and security issues. I currently do it for the logging, but I
will never do it for anytyhing more substantial.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>