[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package release in *EXPERIMENTAL* i-Directory

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 27 22:20:57 CET 2005

On 27 feb 2005, at 21:42, Martin Stokhof wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2005, at 17:36, Gerben Wierda wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> OTOH, the i-Packages live in ~/Documents, are far larger. But these
>> can be thinned and still work.
>
> I've always wondered why they were in ~/Documents and not in
> ~/Library/Application Support.

Argh, not in ~/Library! See below for a somewhat more detailed
explanation.

> As others have pointed out, for regular backups the additional Mbs
> don't matter that much. My reason for preferring a Documents folder
> that contains only "my" stuff is that makes working on different
> machines a little easier: if all and only your data is what is in
> Document, you need to worry only about keeping that folder properly
> synced. (That's why I have problems with applications that do the
> opposite of Microsoft and put your data in Application Support;
> Devonthink is an example (I know that the location supposedly can be
> changed, but that has proven to be problematic for me.))

Quit the application, move the data to where you want it, create a
symbolic link from the old location to your new location. The
application will never know what happened. And don't forget that there
is some far more important data living in ~/Library: Mail.app stores
all you email there, and that is something I don't want to loose. I
just back up both ~/Library and ~/Documents, and keep those sync'ed.

I just point the i-Installer to my preferred location: either in
/Users/Shared/... or on an external disk. Makes it easy to share the
i-packages between computers.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>