[OS X TeX] migration from Fink to Gerben Wierda's TeX

Andrei Sobolevskii ansobol at mac.com
Tue Feb 22 22:56:27 CET 2005

Dear all,

Please forgive me asking a question that may sound a bit arrogant.
Recently I migrated from a Linux box to Mac OS X and installed TeX
along with a number of other necessary utilities using the Fink
distribution.  Now that the dust has settled, I started to ask myself
if this choice was optimal.

Thus the question: what could be advantages (if any) of migrating to
Gerben Wierda's TeX?  Do you think it would be a good idea?  For one
thing, it seems that the latter TeX distribution is supported better
in terms of getting up-to-date packages.  Is that right?  On the
other hand, nobody wants to destabilize an already working setup.
Could both TeXs live together on my Mac without conflicts for some
transitional period?  Did anybody perform this kind of migration?

I think I am not prepared to change Emacs to TeXShop, if this has any
relevance.  What might have relevance otherwise is that I do a lot of
TeX composing in Russian, and it is my impression that with Gerben
Wierda's TeX I am going to benefit more from Mac OS X's native
support of Russian/Cyrillic type, including fonts.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Andrei

--
Andrei SOBOLEVSKII