[OS X TeX] TeXshop and Makefiles/preprocessor and multiple .tex files

Johan Glimming glimming at kth.se
Tue Feb 22 13:22:56 CET 2005

> You do know about the listings package to pretty print a _lot_ of
> languages?

Sure, but I bet lhs2TeX does a better job for Haskell/lambda calculus,
indeed one can also execute the TeX files as in literate programming,
so a TeX file serves both as source code and documentation.

> yes, it is, but add "set -o verbose" and possibly a "pwd" to the top
> of the script to see what is going on exactly. The script should be
> executed in the directory where the master resides with the name of
> the master files as its argument.

I do not understand this set -o verbose business. Where should I add
that? However, pwd I added to the Makefile and it did not show anything
at all other than the aforementioned error message, and it lead me to
thinking that Make.engine contains the "make" line. But I do not pass
the command-line argument further to make with $*. However, if -- I
fail to see why it could! -- make gets the file thesis.tex as an
argument

   make thesis.tex

then my Makefile would fail since it accepts targets such as
pdf,dvi,safe,show,print only. Also the error message is -- maybe --
consistent with this hypothesis?

Finally, as a side-order probably out of scope of this list, can I pass
thesis.tex to my Makefile like this "make pdf thesis.tex" instead of
having the FILE=thesis.tex declaration inside my Makefile?

Johan Glimming.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>