[OS X TeX] Colored words

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Sun Feb 20 02:27:08 CET 2005

On Feb 19, 2005, at 6:42 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>> On 20 feb 2005, at 0:09, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>>
>>> I read the documentation which I found indeed better than
>>> Companion2ed.
>>>
>>> The "pretty printing [I] am trying to do" is reproducing TeXShop's
>>> source file. (I finally got hooked by my own petard and had to agree
>>> to write … the intro to LaTeX that I would have liked to have last
>>> year.) For instance, I would like to be able to write stuff like
>>

>> I think it would be easier to use the listings package, which will
>> allow you to pretty print various programming languages, including
>> LaTeX. Adapting it to your needs is easy, and assigning colours to
>> keywords is trivial (it is right there in the documentation).
>> Changing the fonts to helvetica, or whatever is also easy.
>>
>> Oh, and I've set the typeface of TeXShop to Lucida Grandde, but maybe
>> that is something you shouldn't try to replicate.
>>
>> Maarten
>
> Thanks, I will try it but, in Companion2ed, it looks forbidding. I
> will get the documentation.

If it helps, the following is a minimum example of what I use to print
out C code.  It sets the left margin to be 5 digits wide and then uses
three digits worth for line numbers, which appear on every line, and a
two digit space before the code line.  This means that I can only have
a 999 line listing with these settings.

You most likely only need to change the C references to tex, or
something similar, in order to use it as is.  Then just tweek until you
get what you want...

Aaron

P.S. helloworld.c not included.

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
%%
%% For computer code listings
%%
\newlength{\xleftmargin}
\settowidth{\xleftmargin}{\textbf{99999}}% width of 5 digits in the
current font.
\newlength{\numbersep}
\settowidth{\numbersep}{\textbf{99}}% width of 2 digits in the current
font.
%%
\usepackage{listings}
\lstloadlanguages{C}
\lstset{language=C, basicstyle=\normalsize,
keywordstyle=\slshape\bfseries, commentstyle=\itshape,
stringstyle=\ttfamily, showstringspaces=false, showspaces=false,
showtabs=false, columns=fullflexible, numbers=left, stepnumber=1,
numberstyle=\normalsize, numbersep=\numbersep,
xleftmargin=\xleftmargin, tabsize=4,  fontadjust, basewidth=1ex,
breaklines}

\begin{document}

\lstinputlisting{helloworld.c}

\end{document}