[OS X TeX] OT: Good cheap laser printer?

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Feb 19 15:47:28 CET 2005

On 2/19/05 8:24 AM, "Gerben Wierda" <Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I am going to get a new printer at home. I used to have a NeXTprinter
> (400dpi Canon Laser engine) connected to a NeXT as my printer, but this
> has gone into storage because of space constraints. Since them I have
> been working with a Canon S630 Inkjet and that printer produces
> terrible ugly output, jagged fonts etc. The same document prints sharp
> on any laser printer I try it on (color or monochrome).
>
> I have been looking into a laser printer replacement and it seems I can
> go for a HP 1010, a Lexmark 232 or a Samsung or Brother 2030 (all b&w).
> Though some say they have higher resolutions, all seem to be running
> basically a 600x600 dpi setup. Color is a bit expensive still for the
> volume I print at home.
>
> I am looking for advice. What do typesetting-quality-sensitive people
> prefer for a laser printer that produces sharp output, preferably has
> double sided printing, a small footprint and of course
> Mac-compatibility?
>
> Thanks,

The Feb 2005 issue of MacWorld had a review of several monochrome laser
printers: see

<http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/reviews/monochromelasserprinters/index.php>

Hope that helps.

I'm still using my 1992 vintage 300dpi Personal Laserwriter 320 via the
Assante Appltalk Bridge. Kind of neat to be sitting in my dining room and
print in the family room via an Airport connection.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>